Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Be Real

one day i noticed that my friend barb was wearing a fuel band and we talked about walking and trying to lose weight. she kindly agreed to be interviewed and here are her very honest answers to my questions concerning fitness, diet and how to keep going.

1. i know you walk-how did that begin, how much, how often?

I began walking with my husband 3 years ago in an effort to lose weight and get in shape.  We both needed a way to jump start healthier habits and walking seemed to be the best way.  I started slowly,a couple of miles each day until I built up my stamina.  Today I walk a minimum of 6 to 7 miles everyday,(weather permitting) and up to 9 miles on the weekends.

We are very fortunate to live close to the beach and golf course, which makes walking extremely pleasurable.  We have also become part of the "regulars" crowd, and made some new friends.

2. do you wear a tracking device-if so do you feel it helps to motivate you?

When I first started walking, I did wear a tracking device.  I found it very helpful and very motivating.  It was a barometer by which I could measure my progress and it reminded me everyday that I had to get up and move.  I also used an app for tracking my calorie intake.  That was very informative and gave me a good sense of food portions and associated calories.  It was a successful combination for me and I lost almost 30 pounds in the first 4-5 months.

While I still monitor my calorie intake, I don't wear a tracking device anymore.  Walking has become a habit.  I look forward to it and actually feel guilty if I miss a day.  I am self motivated after all this time.  My husband, though, does still wear a GPS watch.  He likes to calculate the total number of miles we have walked in a month/year.

If you are just starting to walk or run, I think a tracking device is a good idea.  Before wearing it, I never knew just how far 10,000 steps was!

3. what are your goals concerning the walking?

Maintaining good health, losing weight and keeping it off.  Getting to spend quality time outside. This is undoubtedly a lifestyle change.  As my doctor says, "just keep doing what your doing, all your numbers look great." 

4. do you do any other type of exercise?

During the winter time when it gets to cold to walk, I use the elliptical machine.  I am fortunate to have an exercise room in my house (only because I can't stand the thought of going out at 5am in the cold and dark, to work out in a gym).  

I used to do weight training, sit-ups and push-ups, but time constraints made that difficult because of work. This winter, however, I am going to continue the elliptical and start back with the weights and core strength training.  I realize now how important this is especially for women.  I will just have to get up earlier.

5. what results have you experienced from the above mentioned activities?

As I mentioned before, I did lose 30 pounds over a 4 - 5 month period of time.  I really did feel great.  I was sleeping better and had more energy at the end of the day.  I looked younger, my clothes fit better...what can I say, it was all good.

I must, however be truthful in saying that unfortunately, like alot of people, I have gained back some of the weight I lost.  If you lose the discipline and think you can eat more than you know you should, the pounds will creep back slowly.  


6. are you on a particular diet?

No, I can't say I am on any particular named diet.  I have a body that simply cannot tolerate carbohydrates of any kind.  I come from a family with a history of obesity, so I have a predisposition to storing energy.  What works for me is a high protein diet, lots of fish and chicken, and vegetables/salads.  If I have fruit, it is berries and I try to stay away from dairy.


7. what advice would you give to people to help them get motivated to walk, exercise?

Be real.  You know better than anyone else what works best for you. Buy a tracking device and start counting steps.  If you struggle doing it alone, try to find a friend who is willing to walk with you.

ps: speaking of keep going- this is my 100th blog post! be nice to hear if it has been at all helpful or of interest to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment